During your dental visit, your dentist can talk to you about your health history and check for signs of mouth and/or throat cancer.
Your dentist can improve the chances that any suspicious changes in your oral health will be caught early. In between dental visits, it’s important to be aware of the following signs and symptoms:
- a sore or irritation that doesn’t go away
- red or white patches
- pain, tenderness or numbness in mouth or lips
- a lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving your tongue or jaw
- a change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth