Are Gum Disease & Heart Disease linked?
Researchers have suggested that the link between periodontal disease and heart disease is caused from the bacteria from infected gums becoming dislodged, entering the bloodstream, attaching itself to blood vessels and increasing clot formation in the heart.
A few signs of periodontal disease that you can look for:
- Red, tender or swollen gums
- Bleeding gums while brushing or flossing
- Gums that seem to be pulling away from your teeth
- Chronic bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Teeth that are loose or separating from each other
The best method for prevention of periodontal disease, is to have regular checkups and cleanings with your dentist. Remember, taking care of your oral health is an investment in your overall health!
If coming to the dentist has been on your list of things to do, don’t hesitate and call us today!